Statement Expected On Monday 11th

With the Government now giving their lockdown update on Sunday, Racing Industry leaders will meet on Monday 11th May to discuss the announcement.

They will make a statement afterwards which will hopefully bring some clarity.

We understand the process has been undertaken to select the racecourses to stage the first phase of the resumption of racing. We still expect a fixture list and programme of races for the resumption to be published this week.





Will Racing Resume On 15th May ?

Some positive speculation that racing in the UK could resume as soon as a week on Friday, May 15th.

Government will outline easing of lockdown restrictions, probably on Thursday and if given clearance to race behind closed doors, the BHA believe fixtures can be up and running within a week.

A fixture list will be published this week and that will be in place and apply for whenever racing resumes, be it on 15th May or beyond.

The horses at Northgate Lodge did some work on Saturday morning and are in good order. We’ll be keen to get going as soon as we can.

We should have more news later this week, so keep in touch.



New fixture list being prepared

The latest update for the resumption of racing was published by the BHA on 30th April.

The update stated: “To help trainers plan, during the next week we will be developing a provisional programme for the first seven days of racing following resumption – whatever the resumption date.

“We will then subsequently publish the rest of the provisional programme up until the end of June. This will be as close as possible to the original programme for the period, which means we will be looking to stage roughly the same number of races by type, class and distance.

“Ahead of this, we will issue a fixture cancellation notice for all fixtures that were originally scheduled to take place during May and June. This simply reflects the fact that we will be publishing a new provisional programme and does not seek to pre-empt or pre-judge any government decisions around lockdown or resumption.”

More decisions will be taken over the coming days and we all look forward to a time when racing can resume, albeit behind closed doors and with many restrictions.

Resumption of Racing Planning

All remains well at Northgate Lodge with the staff and horses. The daily routine continues as we work our way through the national lockdown and await news of when it is deemed safe for racing to start again. We will be ready to go !!

The BHA link below provides an interesting insight into the thoughts and planning being taken for a resumption of racing to happen and how this is initially likely to be achieved.

BHA Resumption Of Racing

Happy Easter

We wish all our friends & followers a very Happy Easter in these difficult times.  Stay healthy and we look forward to being back racing as soon as it’s safe to do so.

Staff Safety and Horse Welfare

The daily routine continues at Northgate Lodge with the emphasis on the safety of our staff and the ongoing care and wellbeing of the horses.

The horses are being exercised in accordance with the social distancing guidelines and other health measures issued by our various industry bodies.

It is important for the health of the horses but their current training regime is to maintain their welfare rather than race fitness.

The group dedicated to formalising the resumption of racing are working hard and we will welcome their efforts once the industry is up and running again, once it is deemed safe to do so.

Hope all our friends and followers are staying well

Best Wishes from all at Northgate Lodge  

The show goes on

Very difficult times for all of us but UK horse racing is working hard to keep the industry going and will race, with restrictions, behind closed doors. The Coronavirus post below has more information on some of the measures now in place.

Northgate Lodge is happy to support the upcoming fixtures later this week and we have entries at NEWCASTLE on Friday and LINGFIELD on Saturday.

See our entries page on the main website for details

Coronavirus Restrictions

Northgate Lodge fully supports the measures being introduced by the BHA and other racing industry organisations to continue with UK racing but behind closed doors.

The welfare of the staff who will keep the show on the road is paramount. We are therefore asking owners NOT to attend the yard at this time, keeping any social contact to a minimum. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause but we will be here and please feel free to contact us at any time.

The 16 tracks owned by Arena are indicating that owners will not be admitted during this difficult period. This applies to Newcastle, Wolverhampton, Lingfield etc where we run the majority of our horses. Tracks under other ownership are, at the moment, allowing 2 owners to attend per runner.

Restrictions may change so we will update you as new information becomes available.

Thank you for your support and understanding at this tough time.

Best Wishes from Antony and all at Northgate Lodge

Puchita gains her 3rd win

PUCHITA won her 3rd race at Southwell tonight in the 6.00pm contest and that came from her last 4 runs. She won by 3/4 of a length under Harry Russell.

She also ran well to be a close 4th on Tuesday but the drop to 5 furlongs and a draw that saw her isolated wide, was perhaps not to her advantage. Returning to 6 furlongs tonight, the distance of all her wins, she skipped along and was soon in command, holding on well at the finish.

Our next runners are at Wolverhampton tomorrow night. We then have a break for Flat racing until next Friday

Puchita’s win put us on the 17 winner mark for the year